Monday, July 7, 2014

Only Lovers Left Alive

only_lovers_left_alive_ver3_xlg


Tyler and I had been wanting to see this film for a while, and when it finally showed up in Nashville we hurried off to see it. I think this film inspired a love akin to what Stoker inspired in me last summer, except there is more romance and less killing...at least a little less killing. 

The basis of the film is this amazing love story between two vampires, Adam and Eve, who are complete opposites, but two beautifully creative beings that love each other deeply.
 When I think of vampires I immediately go to something awful like the Twilight series kind of vampires. Thankfully, these vampires are quite the opposite. They are these gorgeous creatures and oh, so romantic and pretentious, in the most lovely way possible.

One of the many things I adored about the film was Adams creativity in the musical realm, it was so interesting to see a vampire portrayed as this amazingly talented and creative being. Also, the soundtrack is simply dreamy. Very different from anything I would normally have liked, but I ended up in love with it.



1-8
dress-the-part-only-lovers-left-alive-5_125829118410.jpg_gallery_max
only-lovers-left-alive


Stylistically the film is gorgeous. Half the battle with me is aesthetics, once you have fabulous costuming and a great feel to the movie you have me hooked. 

If you want to see a romantic love story, with dreamy music, and pretentious vampires, this film is for you. Even if that doesn't sound good, just go see it, you'll get hooked.

xo,
 Em

6 comments:

  1. A friend of mine was telling me about this movie the other day! I hadn't heard much about Jarmusch, but I'm told his plot structure is very unorthodox...like sometimes the story doesn't go anywhere...but you don't seem to mind. I would be interested in seeing this at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I love pretentious vampires! And Tilda Swinton, so I would really like to see it anyway. Sadly, I missed it when it was playing here in Chicago, but as soon as it's on DVD or Netflix, I will have to watch it.
    I also loved Stoker, and I was so disappointed more people didn't see it. It was just such a beautifully shot, atmospheric film, that I was entranced. And India's wardrobe was fabulous, which is always a bonus.
    Cheers!
    Jessica, cakesandcakesvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I adored this movie!! I've loved Jarmusch since Dead Man, and you can't go wrong with vampires, Tom Hiddleston and Tilda Swinton. Such a wonderful, unique film. I'm so happy to see someone else posting about it!!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard about that movie... probably it will come to France later....
    Will check it when it will be available here! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you completely. Skilled, detail oriented styling and costuming is often all it takes to ensure a film, even if the plot leaves a bit to desire, gets a hearty thumbs up from me as well.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this movie few months ago, the distribution of this movie in my country was really weird. So when it finally hit the theatres I run to see it in neighbouring city (much smaller than mine that has two huge multiplexes). I enjoyed the movie, it was different and had nice athmosphere and I loved the music.
    A little off-topic: I recently saw another new vampire movie and must spread the word, I litterally cried with laughter, it is a mockumentary "What we do in the shadows", I really recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from all of you! Please remember any ideas on my blog are my own opinion and if you don't agree or have something you want to critique, please be polite.